Skip to content. Accessibility info.

News Archives

Public Service Announcement

During Cold Weather - Remember Fire Safety!

(Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010) - With temperatures falling below zero, Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency reminds residents to think “Fire Safety” when heating their homes. Before supplementing your primary heat source with another, please consider the following:

• Chimney - check to ensure that your chimney is clean and in good repair.

• Creosote, a crusty deposit left behind by smoke, can ignite into a dangerous fire. Burn only clean, well-seasoned wood that has been split and dried properly.
• Check for blockages - all chimneys and stove pipes must be visually inspected. A creosote build-up, animal nest or collapsed liner may not allow toxic gas to escape properly. Carbon Monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas. It is called the silent killer because victims are not even aware of its presence - until it is too late! Always have your chimney cleaned and inspected before using it and check your Carbon Monoxide Detector.

• Space Heaters - give space heaters space!

• Keep combustibles at least 3 feet from space heaters.
• Turn off heaters when you leave the room.
• Inspect for cracked cords or loose connections before using. Only plug power cords into outlets with sufficient capacity and never use an extension cord.
• Never store flammable or combustible liquids near or in rooms with heaters.

• Please visit our website at www.halifax.ca/fireprevention for additional fire safety information.

- 30 -

For further information contact:

Public Education Officers
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency
490-4017

 

 

 

Above content last modified Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 8:49am.