Skip to content. Accessibility info.
From the Communications Office
(Friday, February 19/99)--Halifax Regional Municipality plans to remove the ornamental gates at the Young Avenue entrance to Point Pleasant Park for a detailed evaluation of their condition
As a result, the extent of repairs required , cost, and schedule for reinstallation of the Young Gates will be determined. The historic gates have had regular maintenance over the years, but continual exposure to the elements during the past century has taken its toll on them.
They date back to the late 1800's, when Sir William Young, the first Point Pleasant Park Commission Chairman, donated the gates to the Park. They were designed by Edward Elliott, for the Starr Manufacturing Company, in Dartmouth. Sir William decided to include the massive Nova Scotia granite pillars.
At a gathering on May 26, 1886, the ground was marked off and final plans were accepted for the gates. The gates were officially put up at a ceremony on Saturday, August 21,1886. The new avenue created -- Young Avenue-- was called after Sir William. The gates formed the entrance from the avenue to the park.
When Point Pleasant Drive was developed during the 1940's, the gates were no longer considered part of Point Pleasant Park, but still formed the entrance to Young Avenue. The distance between them was increased in the mid-1960s to allow easier motor vehicle access to Young Avenue.
Individuals, groups or businesses who may be interested in a corporate sponsorship for restoration of the Young Gates, through the HRM Parks Civic Support Program, are asked to contact Stephen King, Manager, Parks and Natural Services, at 490-4894 to discuss partnership opportunities.
-- 30 --
Corporate Communications Officer
Parks & Natural Services