Skip to content. Accessibility info.

News Archives

Landlords Must Advise Tenants of Rules

Media Advisory

Landlords Must Advise Tenants of Rules

(Thursday, August 31/2000)-- Landlords have a responsibility to educate tenants -especially students from outside the Halifax Region- about the proper guidelines for the handling of organics and solid waste, District 13 Councillor Sue Uteck said today.

In addition, they must provide secure bins for their tenants to store waste materials properly and inform them about the designated collection days in their neighbourhood.

Councillor Uteck, whose District includes St. Mary's University, the University of King's College and Dalhousie University, said thousands of students are taking up residence in HRM now for another academic year and it is important that they know about the municipality's solid waste management program.

"It's not totally fair to blame students for the garbage situation on many streets. If they aren't made aware of the rules, then they can't follow them. I believe that most students want to be good citizens and tenants, but the landlords have a responsibility to inform them about how waste is collected in this municipality, " she said.

Councillor Uteck urged landlords to contact HRM's Solid Waste Division for information/education materials to distribute to their tenants or to call the MetroInfo Line at 490-4000. She also suggested that HRM set-up information booths in the Student Union facilities at the universities.

The Councillor also urged motorists to use extra caution when driving near the universities or in the downtown area because thousands of new students are moving into the area and may not be familiar with our roadways.

"I'd like to welcome all new and returning students to the municipality and wish them every success in their academic studies this year. But I also urge them to be cautious when crossing streets and to use the designated crosswalks. No one wants to see anyone hurt in an accident," she said.

- 30 -

Councillor Sue Uteck
(902) 221-7651