Skip to content. Accessibility info.
Public Service Announcement
Residents Urged Not to Use Bleach on Carts, Waste Materials
Monday, March 24/2003)-- Residents of Halifax Regional Municipality are reminded NOT to use bleach for washing green carts or pouring it on bags of refuse as a deterrent to animals, crows and gulls.
Bleach is a hazardous product and can cause serious injury to residential collectors. On March 20th, a residential collector suffered serious burns to his face and eyes after handling a bag of refuse that was coated in bleach. The collector required medical treatment at the hospital.
Residents are advised to use a mild (dishwashing ) detergent to clean green bins. For those who are experiencing animals accessing their bags of refuse, residents are encouraged to place all left-over food waste in the green cart , and to use a garbage can with a lid to secure their refuse from animal disturbance.
For more information about the HRM recycling and composting programs visit our website at :www.halifax.ca/recycle/.
Coordinator, Diversion Planning
Corporate Communications Officer