Skip to content. Accessibility info.
Downtown Spruced Up for Hockey Championships
(Wednesday, April 30/08)-- Downtown Halifax will be looking its best this weekend for the many thousands of team members and fans attending the World Hockey Championships at the Metro Centre.
"Public Works and Transportation staff have been working diligently for the past week and will continue to increase efforts next week to have the business district looking pristine for the championships," said Denis Huck, Manager, Municipal Operations.
The following is a list of some of the activities that have, or will be, undertaken:
• Sidewalks in the downtown core have been flushed and street sweepers collected the dirt and debris left behind from the winter season.
• Grand Parade has been cleaned, and will continue to be cleaned, on a daily basis.
• Up to 20 students began working this week to ensure all areas are free of debris/posters and light graffiti.
• Two graffiti crews will be in the area throughout the week to tackle the more challenging areas.
• Pothole patching has been taking place (see list below)
• Spring flowering bulbs have been planted throughout the downtown in planters and beds.
• Argyle Street has been milled and re-paved.
• Street sweepers continue to sweep streets every day.
• Two sidewalk sweepers have been deployed in downtown Halifax and one in downtown Dartmouth
• Sidewalk crews continue to repair brick sidewalks.
PRIORITY PAVING /PATCHING OF DOWNTOWN HALIFAX
• BEDFORD ROW - SACKVILLE TO PRINCE STREET
• MARKET STREET - SACKVILLE TO PRINCE
• GRAFTON STREET AT BLOWER - BOTH INTERSECTIONS
• BRUNSWICK STREET - DUKE TO COGSWELL
• COGSWELL ROAD
• BARRINGTON STREET - AT COGSWELL ROAD
• HOLLIS STREET
• HOLLIS STREET - AT DUKE STREET
• HOLLIS STREET - AT SOUTH STREET
• LOWER WATER STREET
• BLOWER AT SACKVILLE STREET
• GRANVILLE STREET
• PRINCE STREET
• ARGYLE STREET - DUKE AT BLOWER
• SACKVILLE STREET
• RAINNIE DRIVE
• QUINPOOL ROAD
• SUMMER STREET
Mr. Huck will be available for media interviews - 490-4673.
Manager, Corporate Communications