Skip to content. Accessibility info.

News Archives

News Release

147 Viewmount Drive, Head of St. Margarets Bay - Fire Investigation

(Monday, December 15, 2008) - The fire that occurred on Tuesday, December 9th at 147 Viewmount Drive, Head of St. Margarets Bay was caused by the improper disposal of ashes placed in a plastic garbage can. The garbage can was stored inside the home.

Two occupants were sleeping in the home when the fire occurred. They awoke when their smoke alarm activated. The fire service credits the "working" smoke alarm with saving their lives. Both occupants sustained minor injuries and were transported to the QEII and treated for burns and smoke inhalation. Both were later released in good condition. The structure sustained heavy fire damage, as well as heavy smoke damage throughout.

Two cats perished in the fire. Another cat was later found outside suffering from smoke inhalation. The cat was administered oxygen by firefighters and placed in the rear of the fire truck to keep warm. The cat was taken to the animal emergency hospital in Burnside by animal services. The owners later reported that the cat was expected to make a full recovery.

Numerous fires occur every year within HRM due to the improper disposal of ashes from fuel burning appliances such as wood stoves, fire places, pellet stoves and wood furnaces. Never discard ashes into your green bin or other plastic container, or cardboard boxes. Ashes should be placed in a metal can with a tight fitting lid and stored outside the home, away from structures and other combustibles. Ashes can smolder for several days and reignite.

For more information about fireplace and woodstove safety and fire safety throughout the year, contact the Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency division of Fire Prevention at 490-5546 or

- 30 -

For Further Information contact:

David Meldrum
Divisional Captain
Fire Safety/PIO




Above content last modified Thursday, November 02, 2023 at 11:40am.