Skip to content. Accessibility info.

News Archives

Public Serivce Announcement

Candle Fire Safety


(Monday, March 16, 2009) - Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency would like to remind residents to be safe when using candles - "When you go out, Blow out".

Candle fires are on the rise, and are a leading cause of fires in homes. Always keep lit candles in sturdy non-combustible containers on a level surface and, if possible, place a glass chimney over the candle. Candles can be easily knocked over, so keep them out of the reach of children and pets, and away from anything that can burn.

The fire service discourages the use of candles in bedrooms, where nearly half of all candle fires occur. Never leave a candle unattended, and be sure to snuff out the candle before leaving the home or going to bed.

- 30 -

For further Information Contact:
Public Education Officer




Above content last modified Wednesday, May 22, 2024 at 4:36pm.