Skip to content. Accessibility info.
Public Service Announcement
Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency warns residents of a Smoke Alarm recall from Kidde
(Monday, July 13, 2009) - Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency would like to inform residents of a smoke alarm recall from Kidde. Kidde has issued a recall on their Dual Sensor Smoke Alarm Model PI2000. Due to a malfunction, this unit may fail to warn consumers of a fire.
There were approximately 94,000 units sold between August 1, 2008 and May 4, 2009 and were manufactured by Walter Kidde Portable Equipment Inc. of Mebane, N.C.
An electrostatic discharge can damage the unit, causing it to not warn consumers of a fire. The firm has received two reported incidents of smoke alarm malfunctions involving electrostatic discharge during installation. No injuries have been reported.
This recall involves Kidde dual sensor smoke alarms model PI2000. These smoke alarms were manufactured in China and can be identified by two buttons, "HUSH" and "PUSH AND HOLD TO TEST WEEKLY," which are located on the front/center of the alarm. The model number and date code are on the back of the smoke alarm. Only date codes 2008 Aug.01 through 2009 May 04 are included in this recall.
Consumers should contact Kidde immediately to receive a free replacement smoke alarm.
For additional information, contact Kidde toll-free at (877) 524-2086 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's Web site at www.kidde.com
- 30 -
Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency
Fire Prevention Division