Skip to content. Accessibility info.
Public Service Announcement
Helpful hints help HRM residents WasteLess during the holidays
(Wednesday, December 23, 2009) - HRM reminds residents what goes where during the holiday season to reduce your waste by recycling and composting.
Below are some tips to WasteLess this holiday season. A full list including this year’s holiday waste collection schedule, can be viewed at www.halifax.ca/recycle.
Ensure your tree is placed for collection during organics collection week.
• Natural Christmas trees will be collected with green cart collection during organics collection week.
• Trees should be free of non-organic material such as ornaments and plastic bags.
Know how to sort your holiday waste. The following items can be diverted from the landfill.
• Boxboard and greenery such as boughs go in your green cart.
• Wrapping paper can be placed in a grocery bag for paper recycling collection.
• Corrugated cardboard can be bundled and placed beside your blue bag.
• Don’t throw away bows, gift wrap and cards. Think about where they can be reused.
There are other ways to lessen your environmental footprint this holiday season.
• Make gifts instead of buying them.
• Use reusable materials to wrap gifts. Consider tea towels or gift bags.
• Take reusable bags during your Christmas shopping trips.
• Send e-cards instead of mailing them.
Visit www.halifax.ca/recycle for more helpful information on how to keep the environment in mind this holiday season.
- 30 -
HRM Solid Waste Resources