Skip to content. Accessibility info.
Summary of Recorded Votes (192Kb)
Minutes of March 31, 2015 (86 Kb)
2. SPECIAL COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – NONE
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
5. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – NONE
9. PUBLIC HEARINGS – 6:00 P.M.
9.1 Case 17174 – Amendments to the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy (MPS) and Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-law (LUB) and a Development Agreement - 1017 & 1021 Beaufort Avenue, Halifax
(Joint Public Hearing with Halifax and West Community Council) (3.06 Mb)
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
11.1 CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
11.1.1 Second Reading, Proposed By-law S-439, Respecting Amendments to By-law S-400 Respecting Charges for Street Improvements (453 Kb)
Motion – Councillor Johns – Approve By-law S-439
11.1.2 Second Reading, Proposed By-law S-803, Respecting Amendments to By-law S-801 Respecting Temporary Signs (692 Kb)
Motion – Councillor Mason – Approve By-law S-803
11.1.3 Award - Tender 15-010 Grass Mowing Halifax Peninsula South, Downtown, and Halifax Peninsula North (Districts 7 & 8) (232 Kb)
11.1.4 Award - Tender 15-003 Grass Mowing Dartmouth South, Eastern Passage and Dartmouth Centre, Districts 3 & 5 (228 Kb)
11.1.5 Request for Encroachment – Dalhousie Hot Water System (464 Kb)
11.1.6 Policy - Refunds for Payment of Taxes Paid in Error (288 Kb)
11.1.7 Solar City Pilot Program Summary (580 Kb)
11.1.8 Sidewalk Café By-Law - Tiered Fees and Annual Café Approvals (Supplementary Report) (156 Kb)
11.2 DESIGN REVIEW COMMITTEE & HERITAGE ADVISORY COMMITTEE
11.2.1 Case 19516 – Rezoning and Land Use By-law (LUB) Amendments - St. David's Church Hall (1537 Brunswick Street)
and portion of the former Halifax Memorial Library site, Halifax
Motion – Give First Reading and set a date for a Public Hearing
i) Design Review Committee (1.35 Mb)
ii) Heritage Advisory Committee (3.28 Mb)
11.3 MEMBERS OF COUNCIL
11.3.1 Councillor Whitman – Bedford Highway Reversing Lanes (336 Kb)
13. IN CAMERA
Council may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
13.1 Intergovernmental Relations
A matter pertaining to any subject, the discussion of which could, violate the confidentiality of information obtained from another body of government, or a public body.
13.1.1 Supplementary Education – Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) Renewal – Private and Confidential Report
It is recommended that Halifax Regional Council direct staff to negotiate a two-year MOU with the Halifax Regional School Board as outlined in the March 25, 2015 private and confidential report.
14. ADDED ITEMS
14.1 Ratification of Motion from Committee of the Whole – Fire Services Operational Review – 2014 Update and Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency – Proposed 2015/16 Budget and Business Plan
The following motion from Committee of the Whole held earlier on this date was ratified:
That Regional Council:
1. Endorse the 5-Year Technology Roadmap objectives in the Discussion section of the staff report dated December 15, 2014 and include the year one objectives (Data Management and Process Review, HRFE Dispatch Project, and HRFE FDM Review and Enhancements) in the 2015/2016 capital budget.
2. Not authorize staff to decommission:
1. Station 4 (Lady Hammond)
2. Station 11 (Patton Road)
3. Station 13 (King Street)
3. Authorize staff to initiate the process to improve and increase coverage by relocating Station 8 to the area between the 102 and 101 intersections and Bedford Commons, and construct a new station on Larry Uteck Drive.
4. Authorize staff to investigate partnership opportunities with Halifax Stanfield International Airport to improve service delivery
5. Endorse the following:
(a) Improve the rural fire response by:
i. maintaining E Platoon complements, as per the Discussion section of the staff report dated December 15, 2014 and as set out in Attachment 1 (proposed staffing model);
ii. increasing career staff to four in major rural stations; and
iii transition Station 28 (Sheet Harbour) to E Platoon staffing level.
(b) Maintain 24/7 Volunteer staffing, as per the Discussion section of the December 15, 2014 staff report and as set out in Attachment 1 (proposed staffing model) as amended by previous motion in regard to
Blackpoint Fire Station.
(c) Not Decommission volunteer sub-stations 25 (Ostrea Lake-Pleasant Point), 31 (East Ship Harbour), 36 (Meaghers Grant), and 43 (Grand Lake - Oakfield).
(d) Maintain the existing fire coverage MOU with Enfield.
(e) Investigate entering into fire coverage MOUs with communities bounding Halifax Regional Municipality, including Hubbards and Ecum Secum.
(f) Continue volunteer recruitment initiatives.
6. Direct staff to return to Council with a revised Fire Service Delivery Target and Administrative Order 24 no later than March 2016, following further detailed analysis of the 2006 Service Delivery Standard.
7. That the volunteer model be revised only after input is provide from the HRFE Volunteers through the Volunteer Fire Advisory Committee, the purpose of which is to find a sustainable model and appropriate number.
Direction to Staff was provided in Committee of the Whole in regard to preparation of the 2015-2016 Budget and Business Plans.
15. NOTICES OF MOTION
March 31, 2015
1. Proclamation – Oncology Nursing Day – April 7, 2015 (60 Kb)
2. Proclamation – Purple Day for Epilepsy – March 26, 2015 (76 Kb)
3. Memorandum from the Director of Parks and Recreation dated March 24, 2015 re: Cherry Brook Community Centre (Supplementary Report) (80 Kb)
4. Memorandum from the Municipal Clerk dated March 23, 2015 re: Requests for Presentation to Council (20 Kb)