Skip to content. Accessibility info.
Summary of Recorded Votes (164Kb)
Minutes of June 2, 2015 (71Kb)
1. INVOCATION / REFLECTION
2. SPECIAL COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – NONE
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
5. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – NONE
9. PUBLIC HEARINGS – 6:00 P.M. – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
11.1 CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
11.1.1 Award – Unit Price Tender No. 15-217 – Street Recapitalization, Sidewalk Renewal – Poplar Drive (Circassion Drive to Otago Drive) – East Region (49 Kb)
11.1.2 Award – Unit Price Tender No. 15-248 Street Recapitalization – Riverside Drive and Lennox Drive – Central Region (63 Kb)
11.1.3 Award – Unit Price Tender No. 15-249 Street Recapitalization - Arnold Drive and Armanda Crescent – Asphalt Overlay – Twinning Drive (Central Region) (64 Kb)
11.1.4 Special Elections – Appointment of Returning Officer, Delegation of Duties, Authorization for Reserve Withdrawal, Method of Voting (1.1 Mb)
i) Audit and Finance Standing Committee Report (942 Kb)
11.2 AUDITOR GENERAL
11.2.1 Annual Report for the Period Ending – March 31, 2015 (Presentation)
- Report (476 Kb)
- Presentation (918 Kb)
11.3 HARBOUR EAST AND MARINE DRIVE COMMUNITY COUNCIL
11.3.1 Request for Report – Update – Shearwater/Mount Hope Connector Road (434 Kb)
11.4 AUDIT AND FINANCE STANDING COMMITTEE
11.4.1 Strategic Studies Reserve Q330 (266 Kb)
11.4.2 Capital Cost Contribution Study (179 Kb)
11.4.3 Request for Proposal (RFP) – 14-340 Design, Supply and Install LED Streetlights (375 Kb)
11.5 COMMUNITY PLANNING AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STANDING
11.5.1 Schedule A Update – Services Agreement Greater Halifax Partnership (880 Kb)
11.5.2 Economic Strategy – Review, Renew, Refresh (267 Kb)
11.6 MEMBERS OF COUNCIL
11.6.1 Councillors Dalrymple and Outhit – Public Transit Fund (35 Kb)
11.6.2 Councillor Mosher – Managing Risk (525 Kb)
11.7 NORTH WEST COMMUNITY COUNCIL
11.7.1 Tantallon Crossroads – Follow-up Amendments to Planning Districts 1 and 3 Land Use By-law and Municipal Planning Strategy (5.2 Mb)
Motion – Give First Reading and Set a Public Hearing Date
12.1 Councillor Fisher
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report outlining the implications of updating the HRM Gateway signs located on the 100 series highways. Branding, multi-lingual messaging and financial implications should be addressed in the staff report. The current signs were installed in 2003 and do not reflect the multicultural nature of our communities or the recent brand implementation.
12.2 Councillor Fisher
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report regarding the potential for providing a consistent rental fee structure for ice usage across all HRM owned ice surfaces, including HRM operated, community operated, and contracted-out facilities.
12.3 Councillor Craig and Councillor Johns
That Halifax Regional Council request the Province to amend the Community of Sackville Landfill Compensation Act to ratify and confirm the authority for the Sackville Community Bursary Awards program.
13. IN CAMERA
Council may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
13.1 Personnel Matter
Citizen and Councillor appointments to boards and committees in keeping with the Public Appointment Policy adopted by Regional Council in August 2011, to be found at http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/documents/Citizenrecruitmentpolicy.pdf
13.1.1 Citizen Appointments to the Design Review Committee – Private and Confidential Report
The Executive Standing Committee recommends that Halifax Regional Council:
1. Appoint the two (2) citizens outlined in the discussion section of the private and confidential Executive Standing Committee report dated May 25, 2015 to the Design Review Committee.
2. Release the names of the appointments following Council ratification and notification of the successful candidates.
13.2 Property Matter
A matter pertaining to providing instruction and direction to officers and employees of the Municipality pertaining to the acquisition / sale of land in regard to
13.2.1 Request for Postponement of a Buy-Back Agreement at 5450 Russell Street Halifax (the “Property”) – Shambhala School Society (the “Society”) – Private and Confidential Report
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Rescind the August 5, 2014 resolution to approve that Regional Council:
1 Decline the Shambhala School’s request for a second postponement of the Buy-Back Agreement registered against 5450 Russell Street, Halifax (the “Property”), in favour of a postponement as outlined in the private and confidential staff report dated July 16, 2014;
2. Approve a second postponement of the Buy-Back Agreement as outlined in the private and confidential staff report dated July 16, 2014 subject to the terms and conditions set out in Table 1 of the staff report;
2. Approve a new postponement agreement in respect of the By-Back as outlined in the private and confidential staff report dated May 13, 2015.
3. Not release the private and confidential staff report dated May 13, 2015 to the public.
13.3 Legal Advice
A matter pertaining to legal advice eligible for solicitor-client privilege.
13.3.1 St. Patrick's Alexandra School Property– Private and Confidential Report
That Halifax Regional Council convene to in camera.
14. ADDED ITEMS
15. NOTICES OF MOTION
June 2, 2015
1. Proclamation – National Health & Fitness Day – June 6, 2015 (317 Kb)
2. Proclamation – Kiwanis International Day – June 8, 2015 (324 Kb)
3. Memorandum from the Chair of the Audit and Finance Standing Committee dated May 22, 2015 re: Investment Activities – Quarter Ending December 31, 2014 (411 Kb)
4. Memorandum from the Chair of the Audit and Finance Standing Committee dated May 22, 2015 re: Investment Policy Advisory Committee Report – Investment Activities – Quarter Ending December 31, 2014 (128 Kb)
5. Memorandum from the Chair of the Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee dated May 22, 2015 re: Economic Strategy and Halifax Partnership Update - Year End 2014-2015 (943 Kb)
6. Memorandum from the Chair of the Executive Standing Committee dated May 25, 2015 re: 2014 Citizen Survey (674 Kb)
7. Memorandum from the Municipal Clerk dated May 25, 2015 re: Requests for Presentation to Council (18 Kb)
8. Proclamation – World Oceans Week – June 1-8, 2015 (322 Kb)