Skip to content. Accessibility info.
Summary of Recorded Votes (233Kb)
Minutes for August 4, 2015 (91Kb)
1. INVOCATION / REFLECTION
2. SPECIAL COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – NONE
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
5. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – June 16, 2015
8.1 Proposed Administrative Order 2015-001-GOV, the Corporate Information Management Administrative Order and Repeal of Administrative Orders 13 and 31 (401 Kb)
i) Staff Supplementary Information Report (88Kb)
9. PUBLIC HEARINGS – 6:00 P.M – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
10.1.1 Fly-Past Request – 2015 Battle of Britain Parade and Ceremony (123Kb)
11.1 CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
11.1.1 Historic Properties – Land Lease, Options to Extend – The Armour Group Limited (407Kb)
11.1.2 Domestic Animal (Feral Cat) Committee (1,347Kb)
11.1.3 Cessation of Train Whistle – King Street Railway Crossing, Dartmouth (1,856 Kb)
11.1.4 Off-site Parkland Dedication Request – Marsh Lake Lands, Bedford (963 Kb)
11.2 NORTH WEST COMMUNITY COUNCIL
11.2.1 Case 01192 – Halifax Stanfield International Airport – Regulation of Adjacent Development (10,267 Kb)
Motion – Give First Reading and Schedule a Public Hearing
11.3 AUDIT AND FINANCE STANDING COMMITTEE
11.3.1 Tenders – Winter Streets Snow and Ice Control – Award Tender No. 15-071 – Waverley/Cole Harbour/Eastern Passage –
Award Tender No. 15-072 – Hammonds Plains/Bedford – Award Tender No. 15-073 – Herring Cove/Bayers Lake/Timberlea –
Award Tender No. 15-080 – Lakeview/Lower Sackville (211 Kb)
11.4 COMMUNITY PLANNING AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STANDING COMMITTEE
11.4.1 Mobile Food Market Pilot Project (1,066 Kb)
11.5 MEMBERS OF COUNCIL
11.5.1 Councillor Adams – Release of HRM Easement (55 Kb)
11.5.2 Councillor Rankin – Canadian Urban Transit Association (CUTA) Resolution to Urge Federal Parties and Candidates to make known their Platforms to meet Canada’s Public Transit Needs of the Future (122 Kb)
12.1 Ratification of In Camera Motion from July 21, 2015
That Halifax Regional Council authorize the Mayor and Clerk to execute the
agreement to extend the 2011 Supplementary Education Funding Agreement.
It is further recommended that the private and confidential report dated July 2, 2015
be released to the public when the Agreement has been fully signed by both Halifax
Regional School Board (HRSB) and Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM).
12.2 Councillor Johns
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report exploring the potential for a long term lease agreement between the Cobequid Cultural Arts Society and the Halifax Regional Municipality (Halifax Transit) for the construction of an Arts and Cultural Centre on HRM owned land located at the intersection of Margeson Drive and Highway 101 in Middle Sackville.
12.3 Councillor Dalrymple
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report on a needs and feasibility study of a beach and park on the water frontage of the Gordon Snow Centre in Fall River.
13. IN CAMERA
Council may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
13.1 Personnel Matter
Citizen and Councillor appointments to boards and committees in keeping with the Public Appointment Policy adopted by Regional Council in August 2011, to be found at http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/documents/Citizenrecruitmentpolicy.pdf
13.1.1 Citizen Appointments to the Board of the Halifax Water Commission – Private and Confidential Report – Deferred from Regional Council June 23, 2015
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Appoint the two (2) citizens outlined in the discussion section of the private and confidential Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee report dated June 11, 2015 to the Board of the Halifax Water Commission.
2. Release the names of the appointments following Council ratification and notification of the successful candidates.
13.1.2 Citizen Appointment to Heritage Advisory Committee – Private and Confidential Report
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Appoint the citizen outlined in the discussion section of the private and confidential Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee report dated July 24, 2015 to the Heritage Advisory Committee to fill an unexpired term to November 30, 2016.
2. Appoint two alternates to fill vacancies should they occur, as outlined in the discussion section of the Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee report dated July 24, 2015.
3. It is further recommended that Regional Council release the name of the appointment following Council ratification and notification of the successful candidate.
13.2 Contract Negotiations
A matter pertaining to contract negotiations and legal advice.
13.2.1 Vertical Expansion Contingency Plan – Private and Confidential Report
Motion: That Halifax Regional Council convene to in camera.
Private and Confidential Information Items
1. Private and Confidential In Camera Information Report - re: Historic Properties – Land Lease, Options to Extend – The Armour Group Limited
14. ADDED ITEMS
14.1 Councillor Adams – Funding for local Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) Program (127 Kb)
14.2 Ratification of Motion of Committee of the Whole – Winter Operations 2014/2015 – Strategic Direction Recommendations
Motion: That Committee of the Whole recommend that Halifax Regional Council:
1. Endorse the following strategic directions to improve the delivery of the Winter Operations services as described in the discussion section of the July 22, 2015 staff report by:
a. Increasing 311 call centre capacity to respond to calls and e-mails during severe weather events;
b. Increasing capacity to monitor and measure performance and quality of contracted and in-house service delivery;
c. Take necessary actions to improve compliance with snow-related parking prohibitions;
d. Improve operational readiness by securing additional equipment capability and strengthening winter operations planning; and
e. Stabilizing winter operations expenditures.
2. Improve Sidewalk clearing by:
a. Working within existing approved contracts and resources, direct staff to return to Regional Council in November 2015 with options to improve sidewalk service outcomes, including service coordination, street intersections, and accessibility; and
b. Extending the remaining nine sidewalk service contract routes through the 2016/2017 winter season and direct staff to return to Regional Council in the November 2016, with recommendations on the sidewalk program, commencing the 2017/2018 winter season.
3. That Council request a staff report to consider the cost implications to revise the service standards with respect to: snow and ice for bus stops, sidewalks, intersections, the ramps at intersections, together with Priority 1 (P1) and Priority 2 (P2) streets to ensure public safety is met.
4. Direct staff to explore increased coordination between 311 and Winter Works staff to ensure there are not extended periods of cumulative time that service standards are not met.
5. Request a staff report regarding the possibility of HRM assuming the ice and snow control service for the upcoming 2015-16 winter season for the community of Mineville and the few remaining subdivision streets in the Lawrencetown area that are not currently under HRM Performance based contracts
14.3 Councillor Fisher - Leave of Absence Request
15. NOTICES OF MOTION
August 4, 2015
1. Proclamation – Highlanders Freedom of the City – August 21, 2015 (330 Kb)
2. Proclamation – Prostate Cancer Awareness Month – September 2015 (274 Kb)
3. Memorandum from the Chair of the Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee dated July 24, 2015 re: Downtown I’m In Update (232 Kb)
4. Memorandum from the Chair of the Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee dated July 24, 2015 re: Milestone Update Report – Step 1 Centre Plan (1,118 Kb)
5. Memorandum from the Acting Director of Finance/CFO dated July 6, 2015 re: Award of Contracts – CAO Approval (390 Kb)
6. Memorandum from the Chief Planner and Director of Planning and Development dated July 9, 2015 re: Status of Dangerous or Unsightly Orders (92 Kb)
7. Memorandum from the Director of Transportation and Public Works dated July 26, 2015 re: Macdonald Bridge Bikeway Connections – Timeline for Submission of Staff Report (47 Kb)
8. Memorandum from the Director of Human Resources dated June 15, 2015 re: Non Union Compensation (452 Kb)
9. Memorandum from the Municipal Clerk dated July 27, 2015 re: Requests for Presentation to Council – None (32 Kb)