Skip to content. Accessibility info.
Summary of Recorded Votes ( 207Kb)
Minutes for December 6, 2016 (88Kb)
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. SPECIAL COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – November 8, 2016 (76Kb)
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
5. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
6. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
7. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
8. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
9. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – November 8 and 22, 2016
9.1 Halifax Transit Moving Forward Together Plan – Supplementary Report (13.4 Mb)
1. That Halifax Regional Council amend the Moving Forward Together Plan to retain the existing route numbering associated with the communities of North Preston and Cherry Brook, as per item E of the staff report dated November 4, 2016.
2. Approve the Moving Forward Together Plan as presented at the April 12, 2016 meeting of Regional Council with the inclusion of the change noted above.
9.2 BOARD OF POLICE COMMISSIONERS
9.2.1 Roles and Responsibilities in Police Service (92 Kb)
That Halifax Regional Council request that a staff report be prepared to:
1. Review the current governance framework, roles, responsibilities, authorities and budget respecting the Board of Police Commissioners including the Memorandum of Understanding between the Board, HRM and RCMP, Legislation and By-law;
2. Provide police services governance options, including consideration for realignment of the organization reporting structure, and/or responsibility transfer to improve governance, accountability, communication, policy and public service related to police services for the Halifax Regional Municipality and;
3. Provide reporting and funding options for staff support of the Board of Police Commissioners.
10. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
11. PUBLIC HEARING – 6:00 P.M.
11.1 Case 19626 – Dartmouth Municipal Planning Strategy and Land Use By-Law Amendments – Development Agreement for Multiple Use Dwelling and Commercial Development at 836 and 842 Portland Street, Dartmouth (Joint Public Hearing with Harbour East - Marine Drive Community Council)
- Report (2.7 Mb)
- Applicant Presentation (34 Mb - large file)
- Staff Presentation (1.3 Mb)
That Halifax Regional Council approve the proposed amendments to the Dartmouth Municipal Planning Strategy and the Dartmouth Land Use By-law as set out in Attachments A and B of the report dated August 16, 2016.
12. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
13. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – November 22, 2016
13.1 Councillor Hendsbee - Case H00408 – Substantial Alteration to Benjamin Wier House, 1459 Hollis Street, a Municipally Registered Heritage Property
- Report (1.4 Mb)
- Presentation (391 Kb)
14.1 CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
14.1.1 Tender 16-095 – Construct Two Passenger Ferries (137 Kb)
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Award Tender No. 16-095 to Construct Two Passenger Ferries to the lowest bidder meeting specifications, A.F. Theriault & Son Ltd., for Total Tender Price of $9,802,884 (net HST included); and
2. In accordance with the Sole Source Policy (Administrative Order 35, Section 8(11A) subsections (a) and (b) attached – Appendix A), award the sole source procurement for construction and inspection services to EYE Marine Consultants for an estimated amount of $98,926 (net HST included) with funding from Project No. CM000001, as outlined in the Financial Implications section of the staff report dated November 4, 2016.
14.1.2 Request for Permanent Encroachment at 6061 University Avenue, Halifax (2.0 Mb)
That Halifax Regional Council approve the attached Encroachment License Agreement (Attachment A of the staff report dated November 15, 2016), subject to non-substantive amendments, if any, allowing Dalhousie University to install the proposed protective barrier around an existing utility pole.
14.1.3 First Reading Proposed By-Law O-111 – Amendments to By-law 0-109, Respecting Open Air Burning – Industrial Burning Permits (238 Kb)
Motion – Councillor Whitman:
That Halifax Regional Council give First Reading to proposed By-law O-111, the purpose of which is to amend By-law O-109, the Open Air Burning By-law, to restrict industrial burning permits to a minimum area of 1 acre.
14.1.4 Proposed Amendment to Administrative Order 16, Respecting Fees for the Use of Solid Waste Management Facilities (191 Kb)
Motion – Councillor Mancini:
That Halifax Regional Council adopt the amendments to Administrative Order 16, Fees for the Use of Solid Waste Management Facilities, as set out in Attachment 2 to the staff report dated September 8, 2016.
14.2 COMMUNITY PLANNING AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STANDING COMMITTEE
14.2.1 Halifax Needs Assessment
- Report (1.3 Mb)
- Presentation (550 Kb)
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Approve in principle the Housing and Homelessness Partnership five-year affordable housing targets as presented in the June 24, 2016 supplementary staff report;
2. Direct staff to develop an implementation framework to support the implementation of the Housing and Homelessness Partnership five-year affordable housing targets that fall within the municipality’s mandate, including identifying specific actions, monitoring tools and any additional resources if required.
3. Request that the Province amend the Halifax Regional Municipality’s Charter to enable Council to implement inclusionary housing for all or part of the Municipality.
14.2.2 Implementation of Density Bonusing for Private Rental Affordable Housing in the Regional Centre
- Report (258 Kb)
- Presentation (616 Kb)
That Halifax Regional Council direct staff to:
1. Develop an incentive or bonus zoning program for affordable housing benefits, including an Administrative Order and any required financial tools, in accordance with the program goals, assumptions, principles and directions outlined in the staff report dated September 6, 2016;
2. Negotiate with Housing Nova Scotia a Memorandum of Understanding assisting with the monitoring of affordable housing units provided by way of incentive or bonus zoning agreements.
14.3 HALIFAX AND WEST COMMUNITY COUNCIL
14.3.1 Case 19531 – Amendments to the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-Law for the northern corner of Young Street and Windsor Street, Halifax (18.9 Mb)
That Halifax Regional Council give First Reading to consider the proposed amendments to the Municipal Planning Strategy (MPS) and Land Use By-law (LUB) for Halifax Peninsula, as set out in Attachments A and B of the staff report dated November 1, 2016, to enable a mixed use, commercial and high density residential development at the northern corner of Young Street and Windsor Street, Halifax and schedule a public hearing.
14.3.2 Case 19858 – Amendments to the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and Peninsula Land Use By-Law for 6345 Coburg Road, Halifax (4.3 Mb)
That Halifax Regional Council give First Reading to consider the proposed amendments to the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy (MPS) and Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-law (LUB), as set out in Attachments A and B of the staff report dated November 1, 2016, to enable a multi-unit residential building at 6345 Coburg Road, Halifax, and schedule a public hearing.
14.4 MEMBERS OF COUNCIL
14.4.1 Councillor Adams – Herring Cove Servicing (30 Kb)
1. That Halifax Regional Council Waive the Rules of Order to suspend the notice provisions associated with 63(3) regarding motions of recession regarding a motion passed November 22, 2016 regarding Herring Cove Water Servicing, and;
2. That the following motion passed by Regional Council with respect to Herring Cove Water Servicing be Rescinded:
It is recommended that Halifax Regional Council:
1. Waive the Rules of Order to suspend the rules that the Audit and Finance Standing Committee approve the staff report dated November 10, 2016 and make a recommendation to Regional Council, as the Audit and Finance Standing Committee is not scheduled to meet until December 2016;
2. Increase the 2016/17 gross capital budget in the amount of $75,000 for a preliminary design for the Herring Cove Water Servicing Project Phase 2B, with funding as a withdrawal from General Contingency Reserve, Q421; and
3. Authorize a sole source award and reimbursement to the Halifax Regional Water Commission in the amount of $75,000 for the preliminary design of a revised scope of work for the Herring Cove Water Servicing Project Phase 2B.
15.1 Councillor Cleary
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report that analyzes the cost and benefits of clearing sidewalks to bare concrete, comparing the options of contracting out these services and providing the service in-house.
16. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
Council may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
16.1 Legal Advice
A matter pertaining to legal advice eligible for solicitor-client privilege.
16.1.1 Private and Confidential In Camera (In Private) Information Report - re: Board of Police Commissioners Request for Staff Report – Governance – Roles and Responsibilities in Police Service – Deferred from November 8, 2016
That Halifax Regional Council convene to In Camera to address the matter.
Private and Confidential Information Items
1. Private and Confidential In Camera (In Private) Information Report - re: HRM – Labour Relations
2. Private and Confidential In Camera (In Private) Information Report - re: HRM Pension Plan (HRMPP) Update
17. ADDED ITEMS
11.2 Heritage Hearing – 1:00 P.M.
Case H00412 – Request to Register 2275 Brunswick Street, Halifax as a Municipal Heritage Property
- Report (1.2 Mb)
- Presentation (468 Kb)
That Regional Council approve the registration of 2275 Brunswick Street as a municipal heritage property.
17.1 Ratification from Committee of the Whole - 2017/18 Recommended Multi-year Priority Outcomes (Supplementary Staff Report)
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Approve the Strategic Planning Framework in attachment A of the supplementary staff report dated November 30, 2016;
2. Approve the Priority Outcomes in attachment B of the supplementary staff report dated November 30, 2016; and
3. Direct staff to prepare the 17/18 multi-year budget and business plan in support of the approved priority outcomes.
18. NOTICES OF MOTION
December 6, 2016
1. Memorandum from the General Manager of Halifax Water dated November 18, 2016 re: Halifax Water 2015/16 Annual Report (2.8 Mb)
2. Memorandum from the Municipal Clerk dated November 28, 2016 re: Requests for Presentation to Council – Youth Climate Report Card, iMatter Youth (23 Kb)